It is recommended that the initial orthodontics evaluation at a Melbourne dental practice, should occur at seven years of age. While treatment may not be necessary at this age, a thorough examination can anticipate the most advantageous time to begin treatment.
Why Age 7?
By the time a child is seven years old, the first adult molars have erupted to establish the “bite”. This is the perfect time when an orthodontist can evaluate the front to back and side to side tooth relationships. This will enable him to identify problems such as cross bite, open bite or teeth crowding, also known as “gummy” smile.
By age seven, your child has grown enough and can provide us with enough information to how they may develop as the permanent teeth start emerging.
Does Your Child Need Early Orthodontic Treatment?
There are several ways that you , as a parent, can determine whether your child needs early treatment. If you observe any of the following characteristics or behaviours, you should speak to your dentist.
- Early loss of baby teeth (Before age 5)
- Late loss of baby teeth (After age 5 or 6)
- The child’s teeth do not meet properly or at all
- The child is a mouth breather
- Front teeth are crowded. This can only be observed until after your child is seven or eight.
- Protruding front teeth
- Biting or chewing difficulties
- Speech impediment
- The child’s jaw shifts when he/she opens or closes the mouth
- The child is older than 5 years and still sucks their thumb
Benefits of Early Intervention in Orthodontics at Melbourne
- A better prognosis of how the permanent teeth will develop
- The ability to correct any habits that may be the cause of developing problems, such as thumb sucking or tongue pushing
- Correcting bite problems like open bite, cross bite or deep bite
- Making room for crowded, erupting teeth
- Creating optimal facial symmetry or balance by influencing jaw growth
- Reducing the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Saving space for teeth that have yet to erupt
- Reducing or eliminating the need to extract teeth
- Reducing the time spent in wearing braces
- The ability to improve your child’s appearance
- Creating a more pleasing and functional arrangement of teeth, lips and face
- Alleviating future, and possibly more invasive, dental correction
- Increasing self esteem and confidence in your child
Schedule an Appointment Today
Undoubtedly, early orthodontic treatment provides your child with the best opportunity to have a healthy, straight smile that will last a lifetime and boost their confidence tenfold.
At Doncaster Hill Dental in Melbourne, we believe in early Orthodontics Treatment problems is about preventing more severe problems later on. We look forward to meeting and welcoming you.